Today I experienced a problem opening this blog using Chrome:
Firefox and IE worked perfectly fine. I was also able to open other subdomains, so I knew it was a Wordpress issue.
The first solution I found was to clear my browser cookies. However, this didn’t solve the problem. Other sources recommended to reset the permalinks:
- Settings → Permalinks → Save Changes
Again, no luck. Finally I solved it by removing www from the URL settings:
- Settings → General → Remove “www” from both URLs
It seems that Wordpress bounced between www and non-www causing a redirect loop. I haven’t found the root cause, though. I looked into the
.htaccess and found some entries from the iThemes Security plugin. Disabling it actually made the blog work with or without www. After some more research I have found a solution:
- Security → Settings → Secure Socket Layers (SSL) → Front End SSL Mode = Off
Note: this doesn’t disable SSL. On the contrary: before my https connections were redirected to http, so turning this option off solved both problems.
Comment and share